Book an Appointment

Find out what it takes to be eligible for Canadian immigration and begin your clear path to Canada.

Who are Visitors?

Visitors are persons who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada, and are legally authorized to enter Canada to:

  1. Visit Canada on holiday (vacation).
  2. Visit family.
  3. Conduct business, etc.

Visitors are restricted in length of stay and subject to various conditions.

Temporary Resident Visa

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also referred to as a visitor visa, is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker). Important information: You must obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) before your departure. You cannot obtain one upon arrival in Canada.

The requirement for a visa also applies to temporary residents who are transiting in Canada. Find out if you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) or a visitor visa. If you do not require a visa to enter Canada, you may require an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA).

Requirements for a TRV

Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA)
You must show the officer that you meet the requirements of the IRPA and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay.
Satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay and not intend to work or study in Canada unless authorized to do so.
Show that you have enough money to maintain yourself and your family members in Canada and to return home and be in good health (complete a medical examination if required)
Follow the law
Be law abiding and have no record of criminal activity and not be a risk to the security of Canada.

How to apply for an eTA for travel to Canada?

Applying for an eTA is a simple online process that takes just a few minutes to complete. Most applicants get their eTA approval (via an email) within minutes. However, some requests can take several days to process if you're asked to submit supporting documents. It is best to get an eTA before you book your flight to Canada. An eTA costs CAD $7. You can only apply and pay for one person at a time.

Electronic Travel Authorization

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport. It is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.An eTA doesn’t guarantee entry to Canada. When you arrive, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and other documents – for example, a U.S. Green Card. You must convince the officer that you are eligible for entry into Canada.

Who needs eTA to travel to Canada?

  • Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an eTA to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport. These travellers do not need an eTA when arriving by car, bus, train or boat
  • Lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport. They must present a valid Green Card and a valid passport at checkin.
  • Citizens from select visa-required countries may be eligible to apply for an eTA, instead of a visa, to travel to Canada by air.